Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Maggie Karina Hoffman

When we first received our daughter's diagnosis, we asked our family and friends to pray for us in specific ways. One of the things that we asked for prayer about was finding the perfect name for our beautiful daughter. We are grateful that God has answered that prayer and has given us the name Maggie Karina Hoffman.

I have always loved the name Maggie. As I was researching names, I found that "Maggie" means "pearl." I thought the image of a beautiful pearl hidden within the shell of an oyster provides a wonderful example of how I feel about my little girl -- a hidden treasure tucked safely within my womb.The name "Maggie" is also dear to me for one other reason. Maggie is often times used as a nickname for Margaret. My mom's name is Margaret (although she is affectionately called Peggy by all of her friends). My mom is so special to me and I love her very much. I wanted to honor her when naming my daughter.

Charles came across the name "Karina" as we were searching for the perfect name for our daughter. Karina means "pure" and provides a wonderful picture of how we envision our daughter. As we have been researching anencephaly, much of the research we have found suggests that anencephalic babies do not possess any higher form of cognitive thinking. Research also suggests that anencephalic babies that are born alive are deaf, blind, and, most likely, unconscious. As sad as this is for me to hear, I am comforted knowing that Maggie's thoughts will always be pure because her thoughts will always be with Jesus. I prayerfully look forward to the day that I get to hold her in my arms. I am confident that she feels our love now and will feel it even more abundantly when we get to wrap our arms around her, but I am also comforted knowing that she is now and always will be cradled in her Heavenly Father's arms. We live in a fallen and sinful world and I am grateful that she will be spared from the trials and heartaches of this world. I am grateful that she will be of pure heart and mind when I give her back to Jesus.

"Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God" -Matthew 5:8

3 comments:

  1. Charles & Jana, I just read the news about Maggie. I don't even know what to say besides the fact that I am so sorry and am very saddened by this news. Please let us know if you need ANYTHING. I know we all lead very busy lives and don't get to see each other that often, but we are your friends and love you very much.
    Love,
    Danielle & Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this gift of sharing your hearts. The reflection of the Lord's presence is so evident in your words. Thank you so much for allowing us to love Maggie too. What a gift from God she is. ALL of the Hoffmans are SO dear to us.
    We love you,
    The Harveys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles and Jana, we just learned about Maggie and are so at a loss for words. Sharing your story is a wonderful way to show God's love, and we thank you for doing this blog.

    God works in ways we cannot understand in this lifetime. Please know that all of you are in our prayers! God's peace and love always!!

    Don & Carol Hoffman

    ReplyDelete